Inspiration from Alex Zerega

Did I mention how much I LOVE Pinterest??? While browsing through the Fitness boards on there I randomly came across this photo:


After clicking on it, it led me to an article on simplyshredded.com about Pro Fitness Model Alex Zerega and her general workout routine, nutrition plan, and the supplements she takes to get in and stay in tip-top shape. Can I just say how impressed I am that she is not afraid to get in the weight room and tough it out with the rest of the bodybuilders?? Ok, so I don't necessarily want to become a bodybuilder lol (although I have mad respect for the women that do and are), however I'm fascinated with working out to be the strongest that you can be while also maintaining a feminine and sexy form with curves in all the right places! I've never been a fan of skinny and flat, but I've always been a fan of being FIT and STRONG. So basically, this is me trying to say that I'm going to step up my game another notch.

If you continue on to the article, you can read about everything in more detail. But to sum it up, this is what a sample routine looks like:

Monday: Back
Pull Downs: 6 sets, 12 reps
Lat Pull Downs: 6 sets, 12 reps
Straight Arm Pull Downs: 6 sets, 12 reps
Bent Arm Dumbbell Pullover: 6 sets, 12 reps
Bent Over Barbell Row: 6 sets, 12 reps
One Arm Dumbbell Row: 6 sets, 12 reps
Cardio: 30-45 mins. Stairs

Tuesday: Shoulders
Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 6 sets, 12 reps
Side Laterals: 6 sets, 12 reps
Rear Delt Row: 6 sets, 12 reps
Fronts: 6 sets, 12 reps
Core Training
Cardio: 30-45 mins. Stairs

Wednesday: Legs/Glutes
Dumbbell Stiff Legs: 6 sets, 12 reps
Hamstring Laying Leg Curl: 6 sets, 12 reps
Step Ups: 6 sets, 12 reps
Walking Lunges: 6 sets, 12 reps
Hip Extensions: 6 sets, 12 reps
Cable Kick Backs: 6 sets, 12 reps
Cardio: 30-45 mins. Stairs

Thursday: Chest
Incline Chest Press: 6 sets, 12 reps
Cable Chest Press: 6 sets, 12 reps
Around The Worlds: 6 sets, 12 reps
Push Ups: 6 sets, 12 reps
Core Training
Cardio: 30-45 mins. Stairs

Friday: Cardio
Cardio: 30-45 mins. Stairs

Saturday: Full Body Pump
Pump Circuit
Core Training
Cardio: 30-45 mins. Stairs

Sunday: Rest


And while I can't promise to stick to this 100%, I'm definitely going to try substituting most of the options in my diet with the following ideas and eating about 5 small meals a day:

Sample Diet:
Meal 1: (1) scoop Protein powder, (½ – 1) cup Multigrain Oats (measured dry), (1) tbs. Peanut Butter
Meal 2: (7) Egg Whites, mixed Greens
Meal 3: (4-6) oz. Chicken, mixed Greens, (4) oz. Sweet Potato
Meal 4: (4-6) oz. Extra lean Ground Turkey, mixed Greens
Meal 5: (4-6) oz. Tilapia, mixed Greens

"My diet consists of lean proteins such as Chicken, Extra Lean Ground Turkey, Egg Whites, Tilapia and sometimes top Sirloin Steak. I am always sure to eat a lot of Green Vegetables with each meal. My fats often come from foods like Nut Butters, Olive Oil, Avocado and Fish Oils. When I am allowed carbohydrates, I prefer to eat Sweet Potatoes and Multigrain Oatmeal, but I will occasionally use Brown Rice or Black Beans to keep a variety in my diet."


Her supplementation includes:
Fish Oil
Vitamin C
Calcium
Multivitamins
Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex Protein

*NOTE: If you are unsure, contact your doctor prior to participating in any workout, nutrition, or supplementation regimen.

Of course I'm still going to be keeping up with my HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) to keep things challenging. They are my favorite type of workouts because they are SUPER effective and require only a small amount of time to do (but this is what makes them so much harder). If you have any questions about HIIT, I'm your girl! :) And to conclude this rather lengthy article... I encourage all my ladies out there to work to be the strongest that you can be! Don't be afraid to pick up slightly heavier weights if you're in your living room. Or if you're at the gym, hit the weight room! YOU are in control. Don't let anything or anyone intimidate you for becoming the absolute BEST that you can be! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment